“Introduction To Storytelling And Writing Workshop For Health Care Professionals and Patients”
Date: October 6, 2018
Time: 10:00 am-4:00pm
Venue: Private Eclectic Home In Palm Springs, California (Address given upon registration)
Price: $250.00 (Includes Workshop, Lunch, End Of Class Performance and CE’s For Nurses)
Do you have great stories? Are you looking for a creative outlet? Have you always wanted to get up in front of a live audience? Pondering the idea of writing a book or publishing an article in a journal or magazine but don’t know how to start?
This class is for you!
What you will learn:
- Basic storytelling composition.
- The secret to telling award-winning stories on stage
- How storytelling can improve your conversational skills at work, home, and at social occasions.
- How to get started with a writing practice
- The basics to getting your story published
By the end of the workshop you will be able to:
- Explain and understand the basic composition used in storytelling structure
- Construct a compelling personal true life story
- Perform a 5-7 minute story in front of an audience
- Understand the basic concept for submitting an article, essay, or opinion editorial to a journal/book for publication.
Approved for 6 Continuing Education Units, CABRN
Workshop Limited To 12 Students
Sign Up Classes
You can pay in advance, and we’ll contact you directly to confirm.
October 6, 2018 | $250.00
Or use this form to request more information.
What is Storytelling:
The art of conveying events in words, sound and or images, often by improvisation or embellishment. Stories or narratives have been shared in every culture as a means of entertainment, education, cultural preservation, and instilling moral values.
Storytelling in its many forms, not just improv, can be an incredibly powerful tool for gaining new perspectives and creating shared understanding. Storytelling with empathy can be especially valuable in healthcare because, when you’re in tune with others’ needs, you can better serve them as patients, and be a better leader.
Empathy in Storytelling:
Empathy: The ability to understand and share feelings for another.
Research suggests that stories change our behavior because they change our brain chemistry. Through storytelling there is a better understanding of what people’s want’s, needs, pain points, and what brings them joy.
How Storytelling Can Be Used:
In The Nursing Profession: Storytelling promotes bonding and connection. It allows the teller to feel “understood” and “validated.” It can be used as a valuable tool for nurses in communicating with coworkers, and patients and their families.
For the Advance Practice Nurse:
– Create captivating lectures
– Perfect patient history skills
– Encourages team building and coworker support
For Patients And Families: Although storytelling is not “therapy,” it can be therapeutic. It gives both the storyteller and the listener a chance to look at an experience in a different light. A great exercise for patients and family members to perfect communication techniques with the ability of getting their point across in a concise and organized manner.